Serie A Power Rankings - Week 3
What a weekend in Serie A. Do you like goals? There were plenty. Do you like comebacks? There were also a few of those. Do you like surprises? Yep, check that box as well. It was a very exciting weekend for Italian football and now I have the pleasure of ranking the top 10 teams again. Here we go...
1. Juventus (No change) - This win against Lazio was much more comfortable than the first against Chievo, believe it or not. Juventus have scored five goals in two games and look strong, despite Cristiano Ronaldo not finding the back of the net.
2. Napoli (No change) - Napoli are proving that they are still the second best team, ahead of Inter Roma and Lazio. Last year, to achieve 91 points the partenopei had to mentally strengthen in order to come from behind and win games. They have continued that mentality to start the season as they came back from 2-0 down to beat Milan, 3-2.
3. Roma (Up 1 from 4th Place) - It hasn't been pretty, but Roma have scraped four points from their first two matches. They had a terrible first half but were able to come back and tie Atalanta 3-3, earning an important point. There 3rd place position has more to do with the other top teams failing to get results than Roma's performance...
4. Milan (Up 2 from 6th Place) - This may seem generous, but Milan outplayed Napoli for an hour of the match. They gave the game away because of mental errors, but they were at an unfair advantage as it was only their first game of the season. Higuain had a solid debut, even though he didn't score, and showed that his touch and ability was sorely missing at Milan.
5. Lazio (No change) - How can a team that has 0 points from the first two games be in 5th in the power rankings, you ask? Well, they played the two best teams in Juventus and Napoli. Lazio are strong and talented, and will win games now that the schedule softens up.
6. Atalanta (Up 2 from 8th Place) - Had they been able to hold onto their 3-1 lead over Roma, they would have been much higher on this list. Still, a 4-0 victory against Frosinone and a 3-3 draw away to Roma are good results to start the season, and they also prove Atalanta will not be lacking for goals.
7. Spal (Not ranked last time) - Spal followed up a shock victory away to Bologna with a victory against Parma at home. They are currently tied with Juventus and Napoli for first place and have a head start in the race to avoid relegation.
8. Inter (Down 5 from 3rd Place) - It has been a dreadful start to the season for Inter. To lose a 2-0 lead at home against Torino is inexplicable, and something that scudetto challengers really have to avoid.
9. Sassuolo (Not ranked last time) - Sassuolo followed an impressive 1-0 home victory against Inter with a last gasp draw away to Cagliari. New signing Kevin Prince Boateng looks like he is enjoying his return to Italy.
10. Fiorentina (No change) - Fiorentina should be higher on this list, but the fact that they only played one match hurts them. What a match it was, though, as they completely demolished Chievo 6-1. The Viola showed that their high octane attack will cause problems for opponents this season.